Andy is extremely proud of our accomplishments over the last five years. Here are some highlights:
- Our county has a balanced budget.
- County citizens chose to fund the Lewis and Clark County Library system on a permanent basis. With the funding we have new improved libraries in East Helena (newly renovated building in downtown East Helena), a new meeting room was built onto the Lincoln library, and hours were extended and major renovations completed at the main Helena library.
- Good planning has allowed the county to purchase six new motor graders and several new snowplows. County voters approved a $500,000 road levy for long needed road maintenance.
- Lewis and Clark County has worked very hard to ensure that the State of Montana focus long
needed attention to local infrastructure projects like the New South Interchange (complete), Custer Interchange (2012) and the Canyon Ferry Road reconstruction (1/2 complete – rest done in 2011). Lewis and Clark County advocated for the Montana Department of Transportation to reconstruct Highway 279 from Bowman’s Corner to Augusta (complete). In addition, we successfully fought for funding for the Augusta – Main Street Program (2011), which included a total reconstruction of Augusta’s Main Street (A State Project of $2 million), and the paving/safety improvement to South Hills Road was accomplished through a partnership with Jefferson County (South Hills Road paid for by Jefferson County).
- The County Public Works Department has replaced over 40 aging bridges in the last decade throughout the county to ensure safe travel on county roads.
- The County received grant funding for the Woodland/Dunbar area in order to upgrade City water and sewer services, thus eliminating potentially serious public health issues.
- The County and the District Court committed to the development of a Drug/Specialty Court to provide a more appropriate response to addiction.
- With voter approval Lewis and Clark County was able to build a 36,000 sf Exibition Hall, new Rodeo Arena and Grandstands for 5000 spectators at the County Fairgrounds, as well as long need office upgrades for Fairgrounds staff.
- Through grant funding the county was able to nearly double the size of the wetlands at the Fairgrounds allowing for a more natural setting and a sanctuary for birds of all kinds.
- The Cooperative Health Center and the community of Lincoln received ongoing funding for a Rural Health Clinic that employs a fulltime doctor and provides dental services. The community of Lincoln formed a Hospital District and raised the funds necessary to build a new clinic building, which opened in February 2011. The Cooperative Health Center also received funding to hire new physicians to serve more County citizens in need of health care.
- At the recommendation of the County Human Services Taskforce, the County will put significant resources toward serving those in the greatest need. Funds will be set aside for God’s Love, the Cooperative Health Center, the Friendship Center, Good Samaritan, YWCA, the Florence Crittenton Home, the Family Promise Program, and the Center for Mental Health.
Andy served as Lewis and Clark County Commission chair in 2009 and has had the opportunity to serve on many community boards and committees. Andy has had the privilege of serving on the Rocky Mountain Development Council Board of Directors, Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, Lewis and Clark County Weed Board, City/County Parks Board, Montana Business Assistance Connection Board of Directors, Transportation Coordinating Committee, Cooperative Health Center Board of Directors, DUI Taskforce, City/County Board of Health, and the Youth Connections Board.
Andy currently sits on the Montana Association of Counties Board of Directors, Blackfoot Valley (Lincoln) Community Council, Lincoln Solid Waste Board, Lewis and Clark County Fairgrounds Board, Human Services Task Force, Center For Mental Health Board, Myrna Loy Board, Scratch Gravel Solid Waste Board, Intergovernmental Transportation Committee, Montana Mental Health Oversight Advisory Council, Montana E-Government Committee, Joint Powers Authority Trust Board of Directors (MACo Workers Compensation Trust), Lewis and Clark County IT Board, Search and Rescue Board and is a member of the Helena Gold Rush Lions Club.